Bubble Curtains and Aeration Together
Posted on March 10, 2020
Many of the problems experienced in canals and marinas can be attributed to the reduced water flow in and out of these systems from the main water body. Once materials make their way in, they have difficulty getting out. Floating algae, sea grasses, dead fish and other debris take over canals and marinas.
These issues are more than an eyesore. They cause fish to decline, hydrogen sulfide odors to persist, and bottom muck to build up.
As the problems persist, marinas and surrounding businesses become far less attractive to visit. Over time, residential and commercial real estate values along canals and inlets drop. No one wants to be around smelly, unhealthy water. It’s a vicious cycle, but not one that is impossible to fix.
Bubble Curtains Help Keep Floating Plants and Garbage Out
Wind and water currents drive debris into canals and marinas. Once trapped, they decompose, releasing nutrients and foul odors. Adding a bubble curtain at the mouth of the canal, marina or inlet pushes the debris back into the ocean where it can disperse with fewer problems.
Bubble curtains work:
- Prevent algae, weeds, sea grasses and dead fish from getting in the canal
- Are simple, effective and inexpensive
- Sustainable and environmentally sound – no chemicals
- Boater friendly – the bubbles are produced at the bottom so there is nothing to hit
- Fish, manatees, lobster and all aquatic life can easily pass back and forth without any harm
Add Aeration for Healthier Water
Homeowners, boaters and the general flow of water from the outside add pollutants, organic materials and nutrients to the canal, bringing the all too familiar bad odors and algae blooms.
Introducing an aeration system will help to:
- Increase dissolved oxygen, allowing these materials to be broken down naturally
- Facilitate the conversion of nutrients to forms that cannot sustain the growth of Harmful Algal Blooms
- Encourage the breakdown of some non-organic compounds from boats, while still allowing for the settling of those compounds that cannot be broken down
- Reduce fish kills caused by lack of oxygen
Would your marina or canal benefit from a properly sized and installed aeration system and bubble curtain?
Bubble Curtains and Aeration Work Together for Healthier Water!
Vertex Aquatic Solutions, founded in 1977, is the professionals’ choice for research based scientific consulting services, aeration systems, floating fountains, bubble curtains and biological products to enhance water quality in lakes, ponds, canals, marinas and reservoirs. As respected leaders in the lake management industry the Vertex team of aquatic biologists, limnologists, fisheries scientists and engineers work together to deliver science-based, environmentally sound solutions to complex waterbody issues. Our products and services are delivered through an international network of qualified, experienced waterbody professionals who provide local support, service and pond management expertise to customers.
← Back to Blog